Survivors' & Dependents Program
Educational assistance benefits are available to spouses who have not remarried and children of:
- Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as a result of a disability arising from active military service;
- Veterans who died from any cause while rated permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability;
- Service members listed for more than 90 days as currently missing in action or capture in line of duty by a hostile force;
- Service members listed for more than 90 days as currently detained or interned by a foreign government or power.
A person may receive educational assistance for full-time training for up to 45 months or the equivalent in part-time training. Payments to a spouse end 10 years from the date the individual is found eligible or from the date of the death of the veteran. Children can use it until their 26th birthday or 8 years from a basic eligibility date, which occurred after the 18th birthday.
The termination of a surviving spouse’s remarriage by death, divorce, or ceasing to live with the other person as that person’s spouse will reinstate Dependents’ Educational Assistance benefits to the surviving spouse.
Forms and Paperwork Required
The following documentation will be needed to start your Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Benefits. VA Forms can be picked up at an EFSC Military and Veterans Service Center or downloaded from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs web site:
- VA Form 22-5490 Application for Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance
- Birth Certificate (for dependent children only)
- VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training (form used if you have previously applied for Chapter 35 Dependent Benefits)
- Prep Memo (see an academic advisor if you have to take developmental education preparatory classes)
- Class schedule
- Prior Credit Statement – this form will be given to you at the Veterans Educational Benefits Office to fill out
For resources & veterans educational benefits assistance EFSC students from any campus can call, email or visit a service center for walk-in assistance or use the link below to request an appointment.
Service Center Locations & Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8 AM - 5:30 PM
Bldg. 11, Rm. 113
1519 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922
Bldg. 1, Rm. 140
3865 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935